Monday, January 28

Team Membership, Licensing, Training, and UCI ProTour Begins

Well, I've read last week's Cyclist's Training Bible -- twice, and I've identified my strengths and weaknesses (I think). I'm good on the sprint, powering up short hills at high cadence, and I've got good speed-skills and footwork. I'm weak on long-term muscular endurance, as per maintaining time-trial tempo for significant amounts of time, and I am really not very good at all on the hills. I just don't have the force and endurance for protracted hard efforts like that. So, my training will focus mainly on endurance for now, with long rides of about 2 hours on the trainer, weekly. Later on I'll increase intensity to around lactate threshold, and once it gets nice out I'll work on hill repeats up at Mount A. Weight training for my legs will also help.

In other news, this week I signed up for the NorEast Cycling Team. I had talked to a few of their guys last September at the Portsmouth Criterium, they seems pretty cool, and I've only heard good things about them. Plus they are really local, right in Durham which is a short ride away from where I am (only 4 towns away). So, that's pretty exciting, and I am looking forward to whatever being a member entails. I am expecting my team kit and USCF racing license to come in the mail at some point this week.

Also, the first race of the UCI ProTour ended just the other day, here are the video highlights of the very exciting final day:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking at the Criterium website, it looks like there are two different races... For the uninitiated reader, can you explain what these are and how you would fit in the mix?

Secretagent066 said...

Public records indicate that you were born on October 2, 1982, which would mean that you are 25, not 26, as stated on your blog. What is up with that? Comment on the photo: nice helmet, dude.

Giles said...

for racing, your age is your age you'll be at the end of the year, for age-based classification races and such. And thanks, Safety is sexy.

Anonymous said...

Well Giles, I've been thinking about getting a road bike for a little while now. I really wanted to use the money I'll get from selling my fixie to get another one, but maybe I'll go road again.
Like to go on some rides this year, guess we'll see how that stacks up against the work schedule.