Monday, February 11

Getting Sick, Getting Psyched

I've really wrung every last bit of knowledge out of that Training Bible, having read it for the third time this week. Coming to the end of it is like coming to the end of a good novel; I just don't want it to end. I guess it's pretty nerdy to feel wistful about nonfiction, but whatever. I started a weight lifting regime this week, to help build a baseline of force which I can improve on the bike once spring comes, so that's pretty exciting. Unfortunately around mid-week I was starting to feel a bit lazy, or at least, I thought I was feeling lazy, so I pushed myself to go to the gym anyway, and as it turns out I just needed some rest because I was getting sick. I sort of saw it coming, but this weekend I feel pretty crappy, sore throat, fever, staying in bed, that sort of thing. I'll take it easy this week until I feel optimal again.

Ah, but there was more excitement this week, as Versus aired their preview, with Phil Liggett announcing, of the 2008 Amgen Tour of California. I couldn't even sit still for the excitement as they did the team profiles (Yay Slipstream, Boo Rock Racing)! And I can't get over this video clip of the final stage of last year's Tour. The day was won by Ivan Domiquez, a Cuban who defected while on a goodwill tour 10 years ago. But look at this move by Graeme Brown's Rabobank Team in the orange along the right side. He didn't win, but man, that move gets me hot. I like sprints. I mean... I really, like sprints.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brooke is very upset to hear that Uncle Giles is sick!! When are you coming for another visit?

Anonymous said...

OK, even a non-cycle enthusiast like me has to admit that the finish there was pretty exciting...

Question about that though... what was with the dudes who appeared to peel off to the side and quit with 1-2km left to go? Was that some sort of strategy to get out of the way and reduce the amount of traffic for their teammates?

Also, I agree... sis-in-law is definitely hot.

Giles said...

The guys in the front are there to block the wind and just go as hard as they can to lead in the team's sprinter to win the stage. After they have used all their energy, they move aside to let their man through. Everyone in the pack receives the same finishing time, no matter how they placed, so after doing their job, they just sink back into the pack. I'll do a post about it some time.