Monday, September 8

Reconnaissance

One of my goals when I started cycling this year was to complete a century ride, 100 miles. We could only manage about 60 miles in May for the Tour de Cure on account of the weather. So I've registered for the Seacoast Century--a 100-mile loop about the New Hampshire Seacoast to include York Beach, Maine and Newburyport, Massachusetts. This is coming up in just two weeks, on the 20th, the day before the Portsmouth Criterium.

Yesterday I went on a training/recon mission with a couple friends, a 60-mile loop down the seacoast to Newburyport and back up through Amesbury, Exeter, and Greenland. When we stopped in Newburyport, we all said, "wow, this ride was a lot faster than I had planned, I was hoping we'd go be going slower." It's funny. There seems to be some dynamic to the ride that it goes faster and harder than any of its participants want it to.

And the other thing is that my heartrate was pegged while I was sitting in at like 20mph, which is ridiculous. I have been slobbing about the house way too much the last month or so, and lost all my endurance. So, this 100-miler should be interesting.

6 comments:

Keith said...

That was a nice ride yesterday, but you are very right. There is a certain dynamic and no matter what speed the group agrees to, it tends to creep up. Depends on who is there, but it can definitely get out of control. Why did we climb Powow hill? Because no one would say, "nah, not today." Can't be that guy!

You'll be all set after putting in some time the next two weeks.

Giles said...

Yea, I forgot about Powwow hill. That thing is pretty hefty. I decided to skip finishing it halfway because my derailleur was in my spokes. I definitely need to get that checked out.

cp said...

Two things about your first century. First, ride your own pace. You're out there to finish it, not to bonk out of the ride. Don't get sucked out of your comfort zone. Do that after you've finished your first one. Your only goal is to get this one in the books, not to be a hero.

Second, EAT. Eat as much as you can stuff in your mouth. Swing into every sag stop if you have to. Centuries, at least ones that are well supported, are terrific in that you don't have to turn yourself into a mule and haul around a gallon of water and an aisle at hannaford on your back. Take advantage of fruit, sandwiches, you name it. You won't be riding at break-neck pace today, so having a full stomach isn't going to be uncomfortable. You're a strong rider, you'll have no problem if you contain yourself.

Anonymous said...

Great point on pacing oneself. I consider 20mph my redline,even in a group. It's "too" easy for the first 40 or 50 miles but quite challenging for the last 25. If there's any racing or dropping to be done, it's much more rewarding and devastating to do it at the end anyway. Have a blast!

Anonymous said...

Totally agree with steve. Somewhere within the last 25 the legs fade fast. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

lance could do it with a box of raisins and one bottle of water!!!
lancelancelancelancelancelancelancelance

good luck, you will be fine.