Tuesday, October 7

Hanging It Up

It was about this time last year that I hung up my bike in the garage and called it a season. I'd had enough of biking, it was getting cold out, the roads were going to be icy soon, it gets dark at like two in the afternoon, and . . . really I was just all biked out. I've felt the same way now for several weeks--with the exception of the Seacoast Century and maybe one training ride leading up to it, I haven't done any significant cycling in quite a few weeks.

But then, in January--in fact, right when I started this blog--my interest in cycling sprung back to life of its own accord. It's in my blood. It may go dormant for a while, but I don't fear that I've completely lost interest for it like I have with so many other hobbies in the past.

I have a barely perceptible tingle in my metaphorical throat, which in the coming weeks I fear/hope will turn in to a full-blown fever, for which the only prescription is more . . . biking!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling ya: mountain biking. At your own pace. Foliage. Animals. Ghosts.

Anonymous said...

Jittery whats the deal bro! The slouchfest is still alive you gotta be there, twelvepack o'tacos, puerto, keith, mcWrath, ripstick, and myself threw it down tonight, are you still recovering from your flyer off the front at the WMSR?

Anonymous said...

Trying to train year round is a recipe for boredom and burnout. Cross is what keeps a lot of us going this time of year (actually, cross is the only thing that keeps me training in the spring and summer), but barring that, a few weeks off in October is a very good idea.

And, seriously, if you want to get excited about racing again, just being a spectator at a big cross race would probably inspire you.

so not a bike racer said...

I thought I was reading Giles blog, you know, the guy "who got away" riding his first crit ( crit of death) I took much pleasure watching this.
you lost interest? who are YOU and what ave you done with the over excited Giles?
Id give my right arm to be able to do what you did this summer, so get it together, would ya! :)

I went to watch the cross races 2 weekends in arrow, you should too, looks like a lot of fun and could add a little something to your lack of interest.
if you need more reminder of why you should keep going, take another look at your picture on your main blog page. :)

Karen ( from Noreast)