Tuesday, December 30

Park Tools PCS-9

Recently, a friend of mine, upon moving to across the continent to Vancouver, was disinclined to bring with him his infrequently-used Park Tools PCS-9 Repair Stand, and I inherited it. I must say, having a repair stand is pretty handy. Previously I'd either flipped the bike over or held/leaned it awkwardly or something like that. My friend has some old tubes rigged up with a tree branch in such a way as to hang the bike by the saddle. The stand will be a great boon for my home-repair endeavors. As much as I love my old bike, Tachikoma, I can't justify the expense of the bike shop to get its many problems fixed. Now I just need some tools. My emergency roadside "everything you need" tool isn't going to cut it any more. Imagine a hospital that had only bandages.

In other news, my roommate got a bike for Christmas. We went for a ride the other day around the Newcastle Loop. If the weather for the rest of the winter stays the same as it has been, winter training should be easy. Snowy days alternating with warm (40-50°F) ones force you inside for personal physical training but allow you go outside as well. At any rate, having another cyclist in the house will help keep me active with training throughout the winter.

One last thing: I've dropped down to winter scheduling for blog posts, as it was last winter. I will be on vacation next week, so do not be alarmed if there is no post; I will in two weeks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vacation?!?

Vacation from what? Dude, your whole life is a vacation...

Ahhh, the single life [shaking head]

Giles said...

I meant 'vacation' in the archaic, literal sense. As in, I will be vacating my room for the first time in several months. Who knows what will happen out there in the big wide world?

Anonymous said...

It's a no no to clamp an aluminum frame...if that is indeed aluminium.

Anonymous said...

Use the seatpost, dudeman!

Chuuch.
-Thorny

Giles said...

Ah, yes, that is indeed the old Aluminum Falcon. I have corrected my clamping position, but for curiosity, what is the problem? just aluminum not being used to that sort of pressure application?

Anonymous said...

The aluminum used in a bike frame is thin. Its shape gives it strength rather than its thickness. So, when clamped the tubes can actually crush. Never seen it happen before, but it's a definite no no. Obviously, the same can be said for carbon frames as well.

Anonymous said...

Even steel frames with butted or double-butted tubing is thinner in the middle. Probably stronger than aluminum, but still, seatposts are way solid (and cheaper than a frame)!

Truth.
-Thorny