Wednesday, April 8

Handlebars

So a few weeks ago, I noticed something very strange and disturbing. First, the snow melted. As far as I can remember, it's always been there, and this sticky brown stuff with the soft green spiky things all in my yard is highly distressing, I have no idea what it is. And if that wasn't bizarre enough, suddenly the sun started going down an hour later. The days are longer and warmer than ever before. They weren't joking about global warming. It must be all these fumes the cars are emitting. People need to ride more and drive less or next thing you know, the sun will be shining down and scorching the earth with temperatures in excess of seventy degrees for over twelve hours a day, and I don't think anyone wants that.

All hope is not lost though. I have seen great numbers of people riding their bicycles each day, in a last-ditch effort to save the environment. In fact, rumor has it that the Granite State Wheelmen are starting back up their Prescott Park Wednesday rides--the now-famous Slouch Potato ride, next week (5:30pm Wed. Prescott Park). For those that missed it last year, the Slouch Potato is an epic battle of strength, endurance, wit, and finesse. Haha, just kidding. It's a 12-mile pissing contest with absolutely no training value whatsoever.

It's fun though, and the big guns representing my team, NorEast Cycling, have started it up pre-emptively over the last couple of weeks. Meathooks was there, OperaciĆ³n Puerto, Keith "Lumberg" Limberg, Ram-stein. Ripstick hasn't been around, yet. I look forward to him blowing himself up and having nothing to show at the end as usual, it'll be fun.

Also my bike isn't totally back to 100% from the ravages of winter just yet. Still need to do that spring cleaning. For one, the crappy wrapping job I gave my bars last year has really worn off. A nice bike like Rohan deserves better, I should get on that. I'm actually a little embarrassed about it--a little self-conscious. John called me out on it at the first Slouch ride as soon as I showed up. "Nice handlebars," he said. I kind of mumbled something about getting new tape on nashbar.com or something.

"Not those handlebars, those handlebars," he replied.

Haha, oh right, those handlebars.

4 comments:

Suitcase of Courage said...

Way to rock the mustache wax - VERY French. Now ya KNOW ya gotta get mustache bars for the bike!

AP said...

dude bike polo is god.

i need to get a second whip together for games.

and make a team

Cassandra said...

http://freetopia.free.fr/jeux-video/the-nintendomania/heros/super-mario/waluigi/waluigi.jpg

Bob T. said...

Dave Zabriskie would be proud!