Monday, May 18

General Whining

Well I have to say that so far this year, riding has been fairly discouraging. Last year, I didn't have to ride smart because I was so strong. I'd lifted weights all winter two winters ago. I'd spent hours a day on the trainer. I'd went on epic bike rides, even if in blizzards--no, especially if it was a blizzard. When spring hit I was so ready to rock, I felt unstoppable. I could make totally pointless and inefficient moves, and then sit in for five minutes and be fine again. I could lay down the hurt at the front, and I could beat out any sprint.

Last winter I was distracted and stressed and didn't do any training at all. Now it just seems like my legs hurt deep inside with even a minor effort. I get tired and give in to the pain much quicker than I used to. Every day feels like I'd gone on a hard ride the day before. Lack of training is the obvious culprit, but more specifically, it's lack of endurance training. Long, easy rides build a base of endurance, from which the rest of the cycling skills are built: Strength, Speed, &c. Now, in order to get back on track to where I need to be, I have to lay down that foundation of endurance. And in order to do it in a timely fashion, I'll have to do some intentional overtraining. This is something that needs to be done carefully. Many very long, mostly easy rides are going to be my main thing for next few weeks, with only occasional hard rides, I think.

I don't know, we'll see. This is annoying. I should have just done this six months ago.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nooooo!

are you going to abandon your group rides until you're recovered?

Suitcase of Courage said...

I know how ya feel - and I *did* do some winter training!

Commuting to work will certainly give me lots of base - once I can start doing it (not for another 2 weeks).

At least you'll be on form for the mid/late season races. Peaking for Portsmouth??

Giles said...

@Anonymous: I'll be selecting rides that fit my training plan, and I'll be riding the rides I do ride as my training plan calls for. If for the Slouch that means pulling the entire way out then soft-pedaling back with the nice one-legged woman, then I'll do that.

@SoC: I'd probably prefer Seacoast Century to Portsmouth Critium, if it comes down to that again. But we'll see.