Wednesday, May 21

Epic Bike Crashes

In light of my bike crash last week, I've been thinking about bike crashes in general. I've probably seen or participated in a million of them--my own, and my friends', from ever since I was a little kid riding bikes after school. I've seen more road rash, more skinned knees and faces, and all manner of blood-spewn scenes than I can remember.

No one crashes like the PROs do though. Here's one of Saunier Duval's Angel Gomez taking a massive header in this year's Tour of Flanders:


That one looked like it might have hurt a little. I'm wondering if anyone else has any good crash stories/videos/pictures?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGH! I saw that one "live" (or near as Cycling.TV could do) - any idea what the deal was there? Did he lose traction or something? Almost as if he didn't see the curb coming.

And that WHEEL! Talk about TOASTED!

Guess with any crash, "it could always be worse". Here's to keeping the rubber side down.

Giles said...

Right. Unless I'm seeing it wrong, the whole fork was torn off. I think he was going hard to catch up with the pack after picking up some bottles from his team car. . . . Head down, he didn't even notice the curb which jutted out in to the roadway kind of awkwardly.