Tuesday, November 18

Transition

Periodization. It's a method of training that starts with general training and culminates in specific training. For example, it may begin with a baseline of endurance training and then culminate with, say, sprint training.

This is achieved through a series of peaks and relaxations in training. You might go three weeks of increasing training intensity, then one week of low intensity. This rest week is needed for your body to catch itself up, heal, relax, rest, and get ready for the next three weeks, which will be even more intense than the last three. This goes on throughout the year, building up to the most important cycling events, your "A races".

Periodization is opposed to other paradigms of training, such as racing-in-to-shape or just generally always being fit. Racing in to shape doesn't hand-tailor your training year towards your goals. And keeping a high-performance level of personal fitness for a whole year doesn't allow you to improve very quickly. Furthermore it's basically impossible in New England.

In periodization, the end/beginning of the cycling year is the Transition phase. It is the 'winter' of the training year, though it doesn't necessarily fall in winter. If I had a yearly training plan (which I vaguely had at the start of last year), I would be in it now. That phase is coming to an end though. While it's not even winter yet is New Hampshire, it's late February in my legs. The time is coming to get the training plan together.

Some people have a personal trainer, or use a website or software to generate their training plan. That would drive me insane. I can't stand it when people try to tell me what to do, especially if it's a computer. I listen to my body and I do the best I can. I'm self--reliant and more than capable of finding my own direction when I have my own motivation.

That's why I am using my own training plan from Joe Friel's Cyclist's Training Bible. His guide takes you through the process of making your own yearly training plan. It's very open-ended, and designed for real-life people with jobs and school and kids and that sort of thing. And I like that one of the fundamental ideals of it is to avoid overtraining, and while you should push yourself, listen to your body.

So, I've gotten myself a copy of The Cyclist's Training Bible and The Cyclist's Training Diary, so I can pull together a training plan for 2009. Woot.

5 comments:

Josh A said...

After loosely following the training bible for a couple seasons, I have a couple recommendations. Friel's plans are based around the reader choosing a goal of riding hours per year. Be conservative and base your plan on fewer hours than you think you will ride. This will help avoid potential for over training. Also, don't live by numbers. It's better, in my opinion, to enjoy riding and not be a slave to riding x hours at y HR with z intervals.

cp said...

I bought the bible last year after getting V02 tested. In my opinion, it is a good general guide but more than anything its just depressing. No one has the kind of time he's talking about; at least no one with a real job and real bills to pay.

Anonymous said...

The bible's principles really have helped me. I'm not a math or megamiles guy, but I found many points enlightening: the value of rest, the value of training your weaknesses, the value of training your strenght when you're peaking, the idea of prioritizing races at teh beginning of the season and "training through" others. The first year I did my best to follow the program and the second year I guess yuo could say I integrated it into my own program, but I've got nothing bad to say about his program. It goes w/o saying you have to listen to your own body. I think if you do just two things from that book you're ahead of the game: 1) identify you're A races early in the year (and, of course, tailor your training to them); and 2) rest when it will help you get stronger. good luck all!

Anonymous said...

the hours can be tough to put in. however, if you have a shower at work, a great way to pile on the base is riding to and from work. if you have a long enough lunch break (and nice enough bosses) you can also ride during lunch. it's kind of a pain chamoising up three times in one day, but it's a good way to train when you have a job. the remaining hours can be done on weekends.

Giles said...

@Josh:
yea, I have prodigious amounts of free time, it's easy to get carried away. Hell, I could do 200 hours of training in like two weeks, nevermind a year. Of course it would be highly counter-productive.

plum: as Josh said, it's based on yearly training hours, and part of the training schedules is tailoring it for real life stuff. On the other hand, I don't have a real job or real bills.

@Steve: yeah

@Anonymous: I work nights, so, yeah.